Do you want to add notes to your planner tasks created by Power Automate?
Microsoft Planner is a task management tool that helps users to organize their work. It allows users to create task lists, set deadlines, and assign tasks to specific team members.
A very useful input available for each task in Planner task is the Notes field. This allows you to add further detail or notes to describe the task.
When you’re creating Planner tasks from a flow, you’ll be disappointed to discover the Notes field is missing and you won’t be able to create tasks with any notes.
This post will show you how to add notes to your Microsoft Planner tasks with Power Automate.
Create a Planner Task
The first step is to create a task in Planner.
The idea is you will first need to create the task, and then update the task with your notes.
- Add the Create a task action from the Planner connection to your flow.
- Select the Group Id with which your plan is associated.
- Select the Plan Id that you want to create the task in.
- Give your task a Title.
These are all the required fields to use the action.
You can also add other optional details to the task such as the Bucket Id it will be placed in, the Start Date Time, the Due Date Time, who it is Assigned to, and the Category tags.
📝 Note: You can use dynamic content from your flow to populate any of these fields.
Now this will create the task in Planner during the flow run time, and you will update this task with the Notes in a subsequent action.
Update the Task Details
Now you can update this new task in the next action.
- Add the Update task details action from the Planner connector to your flow somewhere below the Create a task action.
- Select the Enter custom value option in the Task Id field of the Update task details action.
The dropdown list for the Task Id field will only show you current tasks that exist in your plan before the flow runs.
You will need to use dynamic content from the Create a task step to get the Task Id.
When you select the Enter custom value option, this will show you the dynamic content popup from which you can select the Task Id.
- Add the Id dynamic content from the Create a task action to the Task Id field of the Update task details action.
- Add your Notes to the Description field in the Update task details action. This is the Notes section of your task!
That’s all there is to it! When the flow runs it will create the task and then update the same task with the notes.
Notes are a critical part of Planner task as they allow you to give more detail about the task.
Unfortunately, you can add the Notes in the Create a task action of the Planner connector in Power Automate.
It’s not exactly obvious, but you instead need to add the notes in the Description field using the Update task details action.
Did you know how to add notes to your Planner tasks in a flow? Let me know in the comments!